Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  peggyh@i...
Date:  Tue Oct 23, 2001  4:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Singing in a choir

boobook@n... wrote:
<< For me, singing in a choir seems to be the only way I am able to indulge my
passion. I am an amateur - I discovered I had a decent sort of voice 5 years
ago, at 45. I have no illusions that there is any sort of singing career open
to me at that late age, except for choirs. However, I also have a powerful
voice, with a 3 octave range and I sometimes feel constricted in the choir. I
am in the soprano section, and try hard to keep my voice quiet so I don't stand
out from the rest. Sometimes I just want to let it rip - sing out, and sing in
all of my range. Rather frustrating at times. I am also finding that my lower
range is getting weaker - I guess because I am singing the soprano bit. I
suppose I just have to accept the drawbacks of choir singing, as it is the only
avenue I have to perform. Any comments anyone? I would also like your opinion
on whether I should sing in the sopranos, or would it be healthier for my voice
to go to the altos?>>

First, there are many ways to satisfy your singing urge other than choir. I
encourage you to sing in a choir because that's what you like to do. It's my
favorite thing to do, no matter what my age or how advanced my technique, at
least if I like the director, the repertoire, and the atmosphere.

If you love choir singing and you want to reconcile it with your voice, I
encourage you to do two things. Study voice privately, and work with your
teacher on using a free and easy technique to sing in a way that's compatible
with the choir's need. Like Lana said earlier, that may mean you sing mezzo
forte when everyone else is singing forte. But always with a good technique, not
by eeking out the tone or not supporting your tone. This may take more command
of your technique than you currently have, but if you like choral singing, it's
worthwhile to try and very rewarding once you have this ability.

If you really would rather do other types of singing, I encourage you to pursue
that. Work with a teacher. Give recitals. Give group recitals. Perform free
for retirement communities or nursing homes. Sing in church. Even if you don't
think you'll end up with a career where they pay you to sing opera in the top
companies, this can be fulfilling and rewarding for you to do.

Should you sing alto in the choir? I don't know, as I haven't heard your voice.
Do you have good low notes, and can you sing them with a good vocal technique?
Ask your director, or better yet, your private voice teacher. They'll know
whether this will be good for your voice or not good for your voice. It would
be "not good", I think, if you tried to sing everything with pure chest tone,
and tried to take your chest register too high - as you could be avoiding use of
any chest register in your soprano singing and that could cause your low notes
to feel insecure. Private voice study is the best way to diagnose what's
happening and correct the issues, whichever type of singing you do.

Peggy

---
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com