Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 23, 2001  1:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Singing in a choir

Christine,

Don't give up on solo singing!

There are plenty of operatic roles for mature characters--they may not be the
stars of the show, but they can certainly steal scenes! I once saw Nico
Castel positively dominate a performance of Boheme. He was Alcindoro (and the
landlord) and was only onstage briefly, but his performance was so
wonderfully nuanced and completely convincing that it made it obvious that
the others (all capable performers too) were merely acting. He was incredibly
believable and unforgettable.

Art song is another area where it can actually help to have a more mature
perspective. (My former teacher used to tell me that "no singer is really
worth hearing until about age 40.")

At a local music club performance, I was accompanied on some Schumann songs
by a lovely white-haired lady I'd never met. Later in the program, she got up
and sang--in a rich contralto. I went up to congratulate her later, and she
let me know that she's 80 years old. Wow! I hope I can do that when I get up
there.

So don't write anything off. Sing with a passion, do whatever you want, and
have a hell of a good time. I'll bet your audience will too.

Judy

emusic.com