Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Wed May 10, 2000  3:10 pm
Subject:  Children's Career-was career+children

Hello list!
This thread coincides with one of the many major topics at my house these
days, and that is: If Kate (my 17 year old soon to be senior ) majors in
voice performance in college, what will she eat after graduation? She really
loves music and is very talented soprano. She acts, dances, and has the
looks. She would love to have a crack at REEALLY performing-but we all know
you gotta have a day job........................Plus, she definitely wants a
husband and kids in her future.

SO, what is a good road to take? A double major? What would be a good
complementary major for someone whose life revolves around singing? Can one
minor in voice and still get the good professors? What about a voice major
followed by grad school then teaching at the college level? Her father (the
accountant, musically illiterate) is about to have a nervous breakdown over
this. Music Ed would be one thing, but she wants performance. I understand
his concerns, but she is really talented. My own father kept me from
majoring in voice and I have regretted it. However, when we were young and
poor I had a good job as a nurse, and that education stood me in good stead.

Any thoughts?
Leslie

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1490 Re: Children's Career-was career+children Mezzoid@a...   Wed  5/10/2000   2 KB
1493 Re: Children's Career-was career+children John Alexander Blyth   Wed  5/10/2000   4 KB
1494 Re: Children's Career-was career+children Ricciardi, Rick   Wed  5/10/2000   4 KB
1495 Re: Children's Career-was career+children LCADiva@a...   Wed  5/10/2000   2 KB
1497 Re: Children's Career-was career+children cpesings@a...   Wed  5/10/2000   3 KB
1499 Re: Children's Career-was career+children Susan Schneider   Wed  5/10/2000   3 KB
1504 Re: Children's Career-was career+children Dr Colin D Reed   Wed  5/10/2000   3 KB
1509 Re: Children's Career-was career+children Jennifer   Thu  5/11/2000   3 KB
1505 Re: Children's Career-was career+children Ricciardi, Rick   Wed  5/10/2000   3 KB

emusic.com