Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 22, 2001  11:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Songs 8-10 year olds would enjoy

Some songs to consider from musical comedy:

Happiness from You're a good man, Charlie Brown--It's actually an ensemble in
the show but would work as a solo, and kids love it. Unfortunately, other
songs from the show, which are adorable (I love the Book Report!) may not be
as easily extractable.

The fathers' duet from The Fantasticks--Is it Plant a Radish?
Again, because it was originally a duet, you would have to make some slight
modifications to the words--and you might need to transpose it up. But it's
very funny, and kids will identify with it eg--Why did the kids pour jam on
the cat?
Kids would probably also enjoy Try to Remember.

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious from Mary Poppins.
There's also I Love to Laugh, Feed the Birds and Spoonful of Sugar. And
Chim-chim-cheree (or however you spell it!)

Somewhere Over the Rainbow from The Wizard of Oz. I don't know whether you
could do anything with "If I only had a Brain"

Talk to the Animals from Dr. Doolittle (another you'd have to transpose)

Put on a Happy Face or Kids (with an explanation of the plot!) from Bye Bye
Birdie. Fun but might require tranposing.

Happy Talk from South Pacific. I think that kids might also be intrigued by
Bali Hai.

Getting to Know You or I Whistle a Happy Tune from The King & I

I Feel Pretty from West Side Story

Simple Joys of Maidenhood from Camelot

June is Bustin' Out All Over from Carousel

Matchmaker, Matchmaker or Far from the Home I Love from Fiddler on the Roof

Judy

emusic.com