Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Oct 21, 2001  10:45 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vocal Pedagogy direction? Long & Opinion to Mike mostly!

In a message dated 10/21/2001 5:28:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lolipastor@a... writes:

<< I have the recording,
and it is such a pretty voice. So innocent and clear. Obviously untrained,
and somehow this makes me love it more. >>

lauren,

why do you think that is? just a pretty voice isn't enough to sustain a
character for a whole show so, it has to be that the character is there and
that the character comes through his voice. would training make the
character more vivid or, would it spoil it? if he doesn't use training,
what does he use? if he were to be trained, what would be made different?

i spent a good deal of time listening to karen carpenter this weekend,
one of my favorite female singers with a beautiful voice. i was thinking of
a conversation i had with another teacher. she said something to the effect
of "can you imagine what she would sound like with good training?" i can
only say 'not as good'. with training, she'd be different. i don't want
her to be different. i like her the way she was.

mike

emusic.com