Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sat Oct 20, 2001  10:11 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: speaking of support

In a message dated 10/19/2001 10:29:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
peggyh@i... writes:
peggyh@i... writes:

<< I can't think of one instance when a technical vocal term
has been of any use to me in learning how to accomplish what
the technical term described. Whether it's "support" "low
breath" "high palate" or whatever. The only thing that has
worked for me was the teacher finding me making the right
sound, >>

peggy,

i can't imagine how anyone can go for very long teaching people to make
new sounds from scratch. i think it is so much easier to rework sounds
people can already make and, i have never found anyone who couldn't already
make the sounds they needed to sing well. and, as they can already make
those sounds, you don't have to teach them how, you just have to convince
them to make them while singing (that's where a tape recorder comes in handy).

some very useful sounds ('door creaks', bullwinkle, singing like an
idiot, etc), in their usual context, can sound very unlike singing. in the
context of singing, modified, they can sound very different but, still be
produced as easily as before.

mike

emusic.com