Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Date:  Fri Oct 19, 2001  6:40 pm
Subject:  Re: Realistic teaching job expectations

Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...> wrote:
>I have found that I really love teaching on the
>community college level and am wondering what the
>likelihood of acquiring a full-time position would be.
> (I know the schools are leaning toward hiring lots of
>adjuncts to save money, so no need to advise me of
>this.) I am very mobile and would, in fact, welcome
>the opportunity to move.
>
>I have NO DESIRE to return to school for a DMA at this
>time. At some point I hope I will, but it is NOT NOW!
>
>Also, I am a solid singer, but have no desire to be a
>career performer and impress a hiring committee with
>my worldwide appearances (which say nothing about my
>teaching abilities anyway).
>
>So, all of that said, am I reasonable in hoping to
>acquire the type of position I have mentioned? I
>have done some research, but do not have enough
>information about the positions out there or their
>requirements to answer this question on my own.

Melinda,
Teaching at a community college does have some real rewards; I
taught as an adjunct at one for a year not very long ago. From what I saw
there and have heard about elsewhere, getting a full-time position is
difficult, because not only are there not many of those positions (and the
people who hold them are loathe to give them up), but most of those
positions require great multi-tasking abilities. The one full-time vocal
person at "my" school directed the choirs and the orchestra, taught a
little voice, taught theory and music fundamentals classes, and classes in
conducting, class piano, music appreciation -- there may be more, it's been
a while. The point is that one needs to be extremely well-rounded and
willing/able to go outside (sometimes far outside) one's main field of
expertise. If that description fits you, then start applying! However, be
aware that there is a lot of competition out there for *all* teaching jobs,
those at community college included. Good luck!

Leslie J.

Leslie Jones, D.M.A.; contralto
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Music
Southeast Missouri State Univ.