Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Fri Oct 19, 2001  1:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] speaking of support

In a message dated 10/19/2001 7:48:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
laurence.kubiak@b... writes:
laurence.kubiak@b... writes:

<< My objection to Miller's concept is that I many people it induces a certain
rigidity and self-consciousness into the body. Works for some (look at Jussi
Bjoerling on the Fireside videos), but not ideal, I would suggest for most.

Well, having attended a Miller workshop, I have to disagree. Now, when I
READ of appoggio, it sounded rigid to me. However, once I saw it in
practical application, it felt much freer and easier than what I had been
doing (pulling in on lower abs). I felt as though I had abandoned any
concept of pulling and pushing altogether, and my singing has improved,
particularly my releases. Consequently, my teaching changed and students who
had been doing okay suddenly blossomed.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">