Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Oct 18, 2001  8:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] re: Forgetting how to breathe

Something that helped a lot - new wisdom I got today from working with a
new coach - is using one hand to conduct (i.e., as if I were the conductor
of the music) while I sing. My breath management improved incredibly, no
doubt because (1) I'm moving and not "locking"; (2) I'm reinforcing in my
body the beats and tempo in the music, so my singing remains focused and
directed, and thus the breathing is easier than when I sometimes lapse
into what I call "stream of consciousness singing" when I lose track of
"where I am" in a given phrase, measure, etc.; (3) I'm distracting just
enough of my mind by trying to conduct properly (hand/brain coordination)
that I stop worrying about breath management, because the part of my brain
that would obsess on breath is now occupied, and the rest is focusing on
musical, textual, and interpretive issues.

KM
===
On Neil Shicoff - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html
On yours truly - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

| For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that |
| appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. |
| - James 4:14 |