Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Tue May 9, 2000  6:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] career + children

In a message dated 05/09/2000 12:54:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
RRicciardi@S... writes:

<< Personally, not having children but I do have a partner, it is hard
enough to have to be gone singing and having to "find time" to devote to your
relationship. >>

My marriage broke up because of it. It seemed that every time we set a
deadline (or rather, he set one for me) for having children, something came
up: "If by the time you're 28, you're still singing chorus," (I got 3 roles
in Milwaukee just in time for that birthday); "If by the time you're 32 you
haven't sung a big role with a small company or a small role with a big
company," (I was hired to sing a comprimario with WashOp and a principal role
with Summer Opera Theater). And we weren't spending time together because I
was never home in the evening, couldn't go to his company functions, away on
the weekends, working in the summers ... and it all fell apart.

BUT I'm happier now. My SO understands and encourages what I do. He gets
annoyed about having to plan things in advance because he's a spontaneous
kind of guy and my schedule doesn't allow for spontaneity - for example, I
asked him this a.m. if we were going to his parents for Thanksgiving because
I was asked to sing a wedding that weekend; he doesn't want to plan that far
in advance. Well, I have to. But in general, I'm glad I've made the
decisions I have.

Christine Thomas
Mezzo-Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com