Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Wed Oct 17, 2001  2:16 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vocal Pedagogy direction? Long & Opinion to Mike mostly!

Mike!!
Whilst I generally agree with you whole heartedly (as
you know!) I'm very concerned about this theory that
you can sing anything, or am I misinterpreting what
you're saying? Not everyone is blessed with a
Pavarotti, Sutherland, Bassey, Gracie Fields, Freddie
Mercury, whatever. I really do believe that nothing on
earth can produce them; you're born with that gift.
What we must do, is what we do best!! I'm lucky that
I'm an opera singer who is able to swing with the best
of 'em, but only within certain parameters.

Have you heard Big P sing Moon River? Painful rubbish.
Hear Andy Williams for instance, that's how it's sung.
Now Andy would not be silly enough to sing Radames, he
knows where his voice lies!! Perhaps I'm being
stupido, but that's it. Not all voices: SLS included,
and I'm a huge devotee of Seth Riggs, can sing
anything they like. It's faux and a misnomer. Just
like I'm a baritone so that means I can sing anything
from Englebert Humperdinck (the pop singer I mean!) to
Rigoletto? Well, I can't. Engle's fine, Rigoletto's
not, but I do do a mean Barbiere, so what's my point
here? It's not just to do with style, but what your
vocal equipment can adjust to within reason.

Them's my sentiments, no more, no less!! I must say,
I'd rather sing Tom Jones, Englebert stuff than waste
my talents on the vagaries of Mozart!! But that's just
me!! Give me Donny Osmond, I beg your pardon Donizetti
anyday!!

Best to all,

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars!