Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 16, 2001  12:40 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Is it crass? Bio question

In a message dated 10/15/2001 6:08:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
peggyh@i... writes:
peggyh@i... writes:

<< agree with you that those types of statements aren't appropriate, and I'm
always irritated when I read them. I think the reason is that I think one
should try to preserve the impression that the program bio was written by the
presenter of the concert about the artists, with the intention of informing
the audience. Plus, I don't really care what the performers think of the
creative team, or who they're thanking for their success. It sounds like
"sucking up". (Like anyone's really going to write in a program bio: "This
was the worst experience of my creative life, stay away from this guy.") >>

That's something I find more often in musical theater bios than opera, and it
always strikes me as ... well, lame. I did a show with a company for whom it
was traditional to do something like that and it felt kind of ... well, lame.
It just wasn't me.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">