Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Mon Oct 15, 2001  10:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Is it crass? Bio question

Marje wrote:

>Is it crass to put in a singer biography (a soloist bio, for inclusion in a
>concert program) mention of upcoming performances? For example: Later this
>season, Ms. X will be appearing as a soloist with the Notown Choral Society
>in a performance of Insert Major Work Here. On the one hand, I think
>audiences appreciate it; on the other hand, it is a form of advertising and
>I don't want to offend the organizers of the concert.

I think that it is fine. I like to read that sort of thing when I'm
part of the audience and I'm happy when my singers include it in the
bios they supply for use in programs for my vocal quintet. With
regard to your concern about the mention of an upcoming performance
being advertising, I would say that the ENTIRE bio is advertising.

John Link

P.S. My idea that the entire bio is advertising helps to explain why
I think statements such as "I am so happy to be performing with this
director" have no place in a bio.

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais

emusic.com