Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Oct 13, 2001  8:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Concert Length?

Deal Diva Laura wrote:

> Now, for my question. This Halloween concert that I had earlier asked for
> rep suggestion on has become quite the event it seems. How long, as an
> audience member, would be considered too long? So far it looks like I've
> got about 80 minutes worth of music, plus a 15 minute intermission. And
> I've been asked by a couple of singers if they can add a couple of other
> short pieces as well that really would be quite entertaining.

I think 80 minutes plus a 15 minute intermission is too long
for this type of concert.

One teacher of mine, whose judgment is excellent in these
matters, does not like any concert he's involved with to
exceed one hour and 15 minutes, including a 10-minute
intermission. The reason for his "rule" is that it's better
to have the audience wanting more (and having and encore or
two prepared if they go nuts), than have them think it's too
long. Also, it's being considerate of the audience's time
to keep it short.

I think if we're not talking superstar performers whom
people have paid a lot of money to hear and don't want to
let off the stage, an hour and 15 minutes is a good rule of
thumb. So by that criteria, 80 minutes plus 15 intermission
is 20 minutes too long. If you can't shorten the concert at
this point, at least don't allow it to get ANY longer. In
my opinion.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...