Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 10, 2001  8:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] OFF: Talk Soup (was: low notes)

In a message dated 10/10/2001 11:00:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
sopran@a... writes:

<< While the terrorists were sending out a message of hatred, hundreds, then
th
ousands and millions--maybe even billions--of mesages of love and
understanding and support have circled the globe many times over. Starting
with phone calls and emails from some of the victims, who knew that they
were
doomed, but calmly called to say "I love you. Have a good life." And the
passengers who struggled with the hijackers over Pennsylvania. The firemen
and policemen who actually went into those doomed buildings. People who
stayed to help total strangers. The rescue workers who have been risking
their health and well being at the site--and may continue for up to year.
And now young men and women of our military trying to root out terrorism in
what may be the most desolate, god-forsaken landscape on earth. God help
them, and the innocent Afghani people! >>

And this Sunday, October 14, I am having a studio recital which will be an
all-English language program, with the emphasis on American song. It was
supposed to be English-language anyway, because I was trying to lure more
families/friends to the first recital of the season, with the hope that they
would attend the other, more varied programs in February and May. As it
turned out, with what has happened, we are dedicating our performances to the
men and women who were victims of the atrocity. I am putting out a bucket
from the local firefighters union; donations are going to the NYFD victims'
families. I was going to do American Red Cross, but they didn't return my
e-mail and when I called, they said they had no box and I should just put
something out ... the firefighters, OTOH, are down the street from my house
and they gave me something that looked "official."

I will be singing Lucy Simon's "How could I ever know?" which I have
dedicated in the program to the memory of United Airlines Flight 93, in
particular Jeremy Glick, Mark Bingham,Thomas E. Burnett, Jr., and Todd
Beamer..

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">