Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Kathryn Thickstun Leff" <ktleff@h...>
Date:  Tue Oct 9, 2001  7:52 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: whistle (was: bell) register

I agree that accessing your whistle register is more easily demonstrated,
but you might try the following:
Using 'beedee', sing up the scale e.g. 1-3-2-4-3-5-4-6-5-7-6-8-7-9-8.
Think small, narrow, squeeky sound. (The ee vowel helps with this.) Let it
go into the squeeky sound earlier than you might expect, perhaps around a G
or A below sop high C. If you push, it won't work. If you try to take a
heavier upper-register mechanism to those high notes, it won't work. Once
you've found your whistle register you can work on making a graceful
transition from high voice to whistle by making the sound progressively
light and narrow as you ascend from high voice into whistle.

True whistle register is not unhealthy. However, sometimes when a singer is
vocally fatigued and has swollen vocal folds, she can also access the
whistle register. I'm not sure of the physical mechanism. If this is the
case, it's not singing in the whistle register that's unhealthy, it's ANY
singing on fatigued vocal folds that's unhealthy. (IMHO)

It works for me!

Kate Leff