Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  arado_ge@y...
arado_ge@y...
Date:  Mon Oct 8, 2001  2:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] low notes

Aaaghh Gilles!!! How did you guess? Was it so obvious that my low
notes are terrible? :-)

It's my pseudonym, I don't want everyone wanting autographs!! (just
joking). Hopefully see you in Paris and I hope to be able to get the
low notes my then!!!!

In vocalist-temporary@y..., < In vocalist-temporary@y..., < > Dear ?,

> I am sorry to read that you are having difficulties. The lower
break is such an crucial issue for female voices, especially for the
mezzo. I would have loved to help you "live" while in Geneva for
private lessons and Masterclasses just a week ago...

> These are a few hints that have proven to be very useful:
>
> - keep your mouth fairly closed (oval posture) while singing any
notes on the staff and particularly in the lower break (this prevents
the tone from being spread, while it should precisely be narrow and
focused)

> - try not to lower your chin in your chest while trying to sing
these lower notes on the break (this produces an artificial darker
color in your voice, while it simultaneously cuts the voice by 30%
for the audience)

> - Sing descending 5-tones scales staccati on the syllable "vi" (as
in vittoria) keeping a very narrow mouth, and a tongue placed forward
(tip of the tongue touching the lower front teeth at the gum line).
Don't forget to "feed the sound with breath" (do not push, but do not
hold the breath at the glottis either). This will allow your low
notes to vibrate.

http://gillesdenizot.com

emusic.com