Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  <info@g...>
Date:  Mon Oct 8, 2001  3:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] low notes

Dear ?,

I am sorry to read that you are having difficulties. The lower break is such an
crucial issue for female voices, especially for the mezzo. I would have loved to
help you "live" while in Geneva for private lessons and Masterclasses just a
week ago...

These are a few hints that have proven to be very useful:

- keep your mouth fairly closed (oval posture) while singing any notes on the
staff and particularly in the lower break (this prevents the tone from being
spread, while it should precisely be narrow and focused)

- try not to lower your chin in your chest while trying to sing these lower
notes on the break (this produces an artificial darker color in your voice,
while it simultaneously cuts the voice by 30% for the audience)

- Sing descending 5-tones scales staccati on the syllable "vi" (as in vittoria)
keeping a very narrow mouth, and a tongue placed forward (tip of the tongue
touching the lower front teeth at the gum line). Don't forget to "feed the sound
with breath" (do not push, but do not hold the breath at the glottis either).
This will allow your low notes to vibrate.

Hope to meet you on my next teaching trip to Geneva,
Cordially,

Gilles Denizot
baritone - voice teacher
European Assistant of