Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Oct 7, 2001  12:45 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Half-hour lessons

In a message dated 10/6/2001 7:09:49 AM Central Daylight Time,
LeaAnn@k... writes:
LeaAnn@k... writes:

> Actually she has mentioned Striesand and she said that when Shtiesand began
> her career she was all chest...and she stopped singing for a couple of
> years because she was damaging her voice and she "learned" to sing
> properly. She says there is a profound difference in early Striesand and
> later Striesand.
>
> Lea Ann

I'm not surprised to hear this statement at all, and it gives me some insight
as to how your teacher perceives registration. Teachers that live "deep in
the opera ghetto" (LOL) know they are hearing good singing when they hear
Streisand but they are quite clueless as to how it's produced, so they try to
fit it into a model they can relate to which would be a low mix, head voice
dominated production. Nothing could be further from the truth, she comes out
of a long chest register, connects into mix around bflat4, and head at e5....
all without a break. In addition, her mixes can be quite hard giving the
illusion of chest in her middle.

I had a student who did this all very well and then went off to college at
Miliken for a Musical Theater Major. Her new teacher (an opera singer) heard
her, said it was all chest, that she had no head voice and proceeded to
disassemble her voice making her sing everything in head. Imagine Broadway
Baby in all head voice, that's what was going on. This student can now not
connect into her chest and has decided to give up on a career in musical
theater. To top this all off, her teacher told her this was how Streisand
was trained (head down coordination).

Now that is absolutely not true, and this is not how Streisand sings, or ever
has sung. I told a student of mine this story (Lauren Frost, who was the
juvenile Streisand in the Timeless Concerts) and she nearly doubled over in
laughter.

I'm really curious if you don't have a head voice, or if the fact that if
connects out of chest without a break baffles your teacher since she may not
be familiar with it. Is this the case? Just curious.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com