Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Fri Oct 5, 2001  11:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] 1/2 hour lessons

In a message dated 10/05/2001 3:18:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
EJohans@U... writes:
EJohans@U... writes:

<< I guess I run my hour lessons differently. I think teaching requires
some explanation and not just activity. If all a student does is sing
during a lesson, then there may not be a lot of teaching going on. No
offense to folks who teach 1/2 hours; I find such lessons cramp my
teaching and the student's learning. We don't have time to try things
out together more than once. >>

When I first arrived in MKE, I fully intended to give one-hour lessons. I
soon found out that the market here favored half-hour lessons, both in terms
of time and budget, and no one except for serious voice majors wanted
one-hour lessons. I went with it. I now offer my students the option to
expand to 45- or 60-minute lessons whenever a slot opens before I fill it
with another 30 minute student, and most of them take it ... I'd much rather
teach 4 45-minute students than 3 30-minute students in terms. But to get
them in the door (and when I was just starting out, that was my goal), I had
to start with 30-minutes.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">