Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  nicktenor@a...
nicktenor@a...
Date:  Fri Oct 5, 2001  9:48 am
Subject:  Wish me luck

Hi folks,

I've been lurking for a few weeks now since returning following a busy
summer. I want to share my feelings ahead of an extremely big day on Sunday.
I'm "fronting" a big concert, entitled "An evening with the legendary Mario
Lanza".

It came about purely by chance. Back in April, my wife and I were at a
charity dinner and we were introduced (by a friend and fellow tenor) to a
businessman with an interest in music. We chatted, and he mentioned that he
had always really enjoyed listening to Mario Lanza, and did I sing any Lanza
songs? I said that I was a great fan, had been ever since I was a teenager.
He also said that he occasionally mounted classical concerts, and had always
wanted to put on a Lanza concert. Would I be interested in doing one? Having
checked with my friend that the chap was "for real" (and being assured that
this was the case), I said that I'd love to be involved in such a thing, and
so it was agreed.

I was given more or less a free hand with the programme, choice of soloist,
compere, conductor and so on, and over the next few weeks secured the
services of my favourite in each case.

The big day is on Sunday. The beautiful Frank Matcham designed Buxton Opera
House in Derbyshire's Peak Districk (Central Northern England, UK) is host to
the concert this sunday, 7th October at 7.30pm

The programme includes opera favourites (loosely) associated with Lanza - La
Donna e mobile, Vesti La Giubba, Flower Song (Carmen), plus some of the "pop"
hits of the day - his three million-selling singles - "Be My Love", "Because
You're Mine", "Loveliest Night of the Year" and so on.

The soprano soloist is Deborah Norman, a delightful soprano friend of mine
who, since turning professional last year has made her debut at La Scala (as
Maria in West Side story) and Covent Garden (in Pique Dame). Her career goes
from strength to strength.

The conductor is Andrew Nicklin, a tremendously-respected musician with vast
experience of singers and orchestras across the Midlands and beyond. The
orchestra is the National Festival Orchestra, and the compere is the
award-winning Mark Langley.

I know most readers of this list are in the US - it's not a plug designer to
push tickets, more a desire for a bit of moral support - I have 21 numbers to
sing so it'll be a heavy day for me (particularly when I've only sung 7 of
those with orchestra before, and in the case of 8 of the numbers I've had to
learn them from scratch). However, I'm conscious of the great opportunity
afforded to me and determined to put across as good a performance as possible.

So, spare me a thought, please. All moral support gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Nick Sales - lyric tenor with "push"
South Yorkshire, UK.
www.nicksales.com

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
14520 Re: Wish me luck RossiniSop@a...   Fri  10/5/2001   2 KB
14532 Re: Wish me luck nicktenor@a...   Fri  10/5/2001   2 KB
14548 Re: Wish me luck Ian Belsey   Sat  10/6/2001   2 KB
14560 Re: Wish me luck Patricia M Smith   Sat  10/6/2001   2 KB

emusic.com