Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Oct 5, 2001  2:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Stuck

Lea Ann wrote:

<< Well I know this can be annoying...questions from
novices. But I feel that I am so stuck I must ask. I
simply cannot get my head tone together...I can only barely
achieve head tone....by going "Kaw Kaw Kaw" like a crow...I
cannot hold the kaw and make it a note...it becomes all
breathy and non head toney. >>

I'll tell you, Lea Ann - when a concept or vocal idea isn't
working, it's time to drop that idea and work on the problem
from a different direction. The more you "try" to sing your
concept of "head tone", the less likely it is you're going
to get it, because you're trying too hard and probably
getting all tensed up.

In my experience working these issues (and I've probably
worked them all at one time or another!), my teacher has
sometimes had me make sounds without even breathing the
concept of "head tone", or any technical term for that
matter, and encouraged me to do more of whatever he found me
doing right. Then, when that concept stopped working
because I "tried" it too hard, he came up with another
thought or way to get at the same idea. Eventually, the
"right" way became habitual was no longer an issue!

There are two ways I've gotten at head tone and good breath
support, and lots of other things: One is the "siren". Make
a siren sound on your favorite, non-a, vowel (EE or OH),
easy and quickly, without thinking about it too much,
starting from the bottom of your range, and as high as you
can go without straining, and then let the pitch come
naturally down, like an old-fashioned fire engine. Your
voice naturally will move itself into head tone at the right
place without your even thinking about it.

The other way is a sound that one can think of as a sigh.
Or I've heard it referred to as a "waterfall". Start an
easy sigh, fairly high in your voice, and let your voice
fall naturally down the scale, letting all your breath out.
Your voice should naturally do the right thing. You can also
try getting this sound by imitating the whimpering of a
dog.

The less you think about these tones as "singing" and the
more you think about them as "sounds", the more successful I
think you'll be. Because it's probably your body's concept
of "singing" that's causing some muscles in your vocal
mechanism to tense up and prevent you sustaining the free
tone you want. If sustaining the tone isn't working for you
now, don't think about sustaining it. Just make it last the
tiniest bit longer while still feeling easy.

Your teacher may have some other "tricks of the trade" along
these lines to get the vocal quality you're looking for. Be
open to them, and don't force yourself into some
preconceived idea of "head tone".

I've also found that when thinking about an issue like "head
tone" isn't working for me, that switching to thinking about
something (apparently) completely different works. Like
singing on a good breath, or having a good singing posture,
or singing while standing bent way over at the waist or
while lying flat on my back will sometimes right the ship.
Or jumping up and down, turning in a circle, squeezing a
rubber ball. These distract the analytical part of your
brain that's getting in your way, and allows your body to do
what comes naturally, which is probably the right thing
(because your body is REALLY smart).

Hope some of these ideas help.

Peggy

--