Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  lolipastor@a...
Date:  Thu Oct 4, 2001  8:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A Personal Question (long, sorry!)

Milena,

As someone who has spent many years at tough conservatories, I know how
stressful "talk" is. And it runs RAMPANT. You must try to sift through this
and still listen to your heart. I know this sounds cliche, but trust me.
It's not. You know inside what is right, and if you're not sure, do your
research until you are. And don't rely on young, under-confident, academic
singers to provide this information. Read up on pedagogy. Sit in on other
lessons, if you feel comfortable doing this. Ask your teacher to sit down
with you and talk about your lessons. Of course don't tell her what is being
said, but it is perfectly understandable that a student should want to fully
understand in what direction her teacher has her going. Tell her about your
vocal problems, and see what she has to say. Your teacher should never be
the enemy, and by listening to these rumors and taking them as truth, you are
putting her in that position yourself.

I feel that if we don't have the confidence to open up to our teachers about
our deepest vocal concerns, we need to find a new teacher.

This may definitely conflict with other feelings in the group, but as with
all opinions, listen to them all and make the choice yourself.

Good luck,
Lauren

emusic.com