Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Thu Oct 4, 2001  2:54 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A Personal Question (long, sorry!)

In a message dated 10/3/2001 7:31:43 PM Central Daylight Time,
mgrubor@u... writes:

> The other hurtful thing about this gossip is that it originated in my own
> house, where I live with 4 other soprano voice majors.

Well, this is a very complex issue, and I've been there! First of all, as
you know, undergraduate school is a hornets' nest of insecurities and extreme
egos, augmented by the fact that most undergrads are very young and most
generally haven't learned how to handle those "dark" sides of their
personalities. So, games of intrigue and power plays and acting out happen
perpetually, effecting EVERYONE. Even those who appear to be on top of their
game. (This I only realized in hind sight!)

That being said, there is also the fact that the teachers at music schools in
some cases are not much more evolved than the students, and have their own
in-fighting and ego problems that can trickle down. (Like I said, it REALLY
is a hornets' nest.)

The number one absolute about all of this, starting now, and continuing into
your professional career and life is this: Pay attention only to YOUR path
and what you are doing and how you are progressing on it.

No one else has to be the one to stand up there in your body and perform, and
no one else has the unique and complex mixture of talent, life experience,
physicality, and soul that you do. So, it is your ship to guide. Guide it.

Following that, your evaluation of your teacher should then be based on what
your goals are vocally and how well she helps you achieve those goals. If
there is a disparity there, discuss your concerns proactively with her from
the perspective of your goals, not from the perspective of what someone else
said in the department. If this discussion bears fruit and meets your needs,
then work with it a little while longer and see what comes of it, always
keeping your ears and eyes open to what the other possibilities for
instruction are at your school. If you decide to explore, then find out what
the procedure is at the school to work on the possibility of studying under
the other teachers. Can you sit in on some lessons? Maybe meet with them and
discuss the technical issues you are concerned with? (Again; this MUST be
from your perspective of your personal development, and in a way that does
not slam your current teacher.) Is there a dean of your department with whom
you can meet and discuss an overview of all the teachers' techniques to
discern which might be the best fit for you? Without knowing the ins and outs
of the political scene there, it is hard to tell you specifically what to do.
The global message I am sending you is: Stake your path, stick to it, and
follow its conclusion with the greatest integrity you have to uncovering your
truth. Nose to the grindstone.

And good luck to you! Let us know how it all unfolds.
TinaO

emusic.com