Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 3, 2001  5:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] re: Rome Festival

In a message dated 10/3/01 3:57:18 PM, omigurt@m... writes:

<< The program has been around a long time and yet it has no
prominent alumni that promote it. >>

Naomi,

I know that you are a fair-minded person, but speaking as a board member of a
different opera workshop, I'm not sure that this is exactly fair--although I
have seen some negative posts about this particular group. I don't know
whether they are true or not.

But how "prominent" must alumni be in order for a program to have validity?

The students that programs attract are to some extent "the luck of the draw"
--as it is with a teacher. A wonderful teacher may not have the opportunity
to teach someone who has the potential to become a world-class artist. They
may nonetheless turn out many very fine singers from the material they're
given to work with. One woman that I know of had a young coloratura student
who could literally sing anything. She was told by many major singers that
she had everything she needed for an outstanding international career.
Everything but the desire, as it turned out. She's now a young mother of
three and from what I hear, almost never sings as her husband doesn't like it.

The opera programs are also generally expensive (though I'm proud to say that
"mine" is not) and many very talented singers cannot afford the
tuition--especially right out of college. If they're working, it's difficult
to take the time out.

In many cases, the real standouts from colleges and conservatories move right
into careers or at least young artist programs, not these workshops, which
are usuallly intended for those who, while talented, need a "bridge" to a
professional career.

I don' t think that any reputable workshop would promote itself as anything
more than an opportunity to learn roles and polish skills--and perhaps, if
you're lucky, make some contacts. Some do present their alumni to agents,
etc. but I think it's very rare to have a career actually "launched" as a
result of a summer workshop.

Judy

emusic.com