Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
"Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Tue Oct 2, 2001  7:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Flonase Spray

Dear Audrey,

Please don't take this amiss, but is it really your place ( or our place),
to educate others about specific medications if we are not physicians,
pharmacists or chemists? I understand your concern regarding the use of
cortico-steroids but for many allergy-suffering singers it is a first line
of treatment. Is it really your place to second guess your student's
physician? I agree that we need to educate ourselves about medications but
is it appropriate to "educate" your student's parents? I think not.

By the way, I'm a singer who's been inhaling steroids for more than 10
years. My pulmonologist knows I'm a singer and my laryngologist knows I'm
asthmatic. I use the meds for a specific purpose, observe appropriate
cautions and have had no vocal problems. This is fortunate because I
wouldn't be alive today without corticosteroids.

Regards,
Cindy Donnell

I have an adolescent student who is using Flonase nasal spray. I know that
it is steroidal and I steer clear of steroids. Does anyone know of any
materials out there that speak to the effect of Flonase on the voice in the
long and short term. I'd like to educate myself and my student's parents.
Thank You in advance,
Audrey Howitt

emusic.com