Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 2, 2001  6:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A question of register

In a message dated 10/2/2001 10:24:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
toda@m... writes:
toda@m... writes:

> Still, I
> maintain that these women who bring their chest up could probably
> have a higher upper range if they switched lower, that's all I'm
> saying.

Just another opinion here, but, nearly all of my students who bridge at the
a-bflat4 have another one and half to two octave range that they can access
as a result of this. I have found in my observation of my students that those
who enter the passagio earlier, start jamming up right around the a5, and in
fact the larynx begins to markedly raise right around an e-eflat5 if they are
trying to enter the passagio any earlier.............
My male students, by and large, begin bridging right around e-eflat4 and most
of them can sing another octave above that with the "high b-c" being
extremely singable.....and none of them are allowed to pull chest up that
high, it is definitely a mixed production. Albeit, some of them have a
lighter or heavier production here depending on how long they have studied,
what size voice they have etc., but the ability and range is there in all my
students.

In conclusions, I have found that a higher entrance into the passagi's
promotes an easier production overall. However, when one "bridges" lower the
asesthetic sound and range is different and is one that is commonly accepted
as the norm in "classical" genres..........but is useless elsewhere.

Mary Beth Felker
The Voice Project
Seth Riggs Associate

emusic.com