Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Sun May 7, 2000  4:53 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Arias for young sopranos

In my experience, coaches do NOT want to hear a young
singer tackle a part that is significantly older than
the singer.

So, what are the young-girl roles in opera?

both Sophies (Werther and Strauss)
Mozart's Susanna, Zerlina, Despina, Papagena
Puccini's Musetta (if you're more lyric than most)
Menotti's Monica
Verdi's Gilda (if you're a coloratura, with an E)
I'm thinking of Barbara Bonney's whole repertoire...
she's always played the young soubrettes and lyrics
and almost-coloratura girls, as far as I can tell --
Adele, Adina, Norina...

I know there are more... dang...

Of course, songs you (or at least, I) sing in STUDIO
are very different. Those are to learn on, gain
certain skills from, while age-appropriate repertoire
is for taking out into the world and showing off those
skills.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte