Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Mon Oct 1, 2001  6:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A question of register

> Mind you, I don't think it's *unhealthy* for women
> to sing high in
> their chest voices... it's only unhealthy if they
> intend to have the
> high notes required for classical music. If their
> intention is to
> stick to chest voice singing (a la Whitney Houston),
> they're fine.

Have to disagree here. For me, it hurts to pull chest
up too high (starts getting tight around D4, and is
downright painful above F4). When I used to sing alto
and only ever used my chest voice (because no one ever
told me I had a head voice) my throat would always be
so sore after singing. Using pop singers as an example
is not your best choice to say "they're fine", because
Whitney Houston is having major vocal problems (listen
to her latest recording and contrast the vocal quality
to her earlier ones and you'll hear what I mean), as
do most of the female pop singers who pull chest up
too high over a long period of time.

In contrast, when I use my head voice for these notes,
my throat often feels better after I sing than it did
before (probably because I find singing so relaxing
now!) - never any pain or strain, no pitch problems,
no difficulties with resonance... And no reason I
won't be able to continue to sing problem-free as long
as I'm careful with my technique for the next 40 or 50
years.

Jennifer, who likes her head voice

14413 Re: A question of register - Pain singing high i Tako Oda   Tue  10/2/2001   2 KB

emusic.com