Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Mon Oct 1, 2001  7:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A question of register

So much has happened in this thread in such a short
amount of time, it's hard picking which post(s) to
respond to, so I'm going to make some general comments
(from the perspective of a soprano).

I'm wondering if we're all using different terminology
to mean the same things. I sing in a classical style,
and when I sing the notes between about C4 and F4
(depending on context these can be a little higher or
lower), I use head voice, but the resonance sounds
like it's got a lot of chest mixed in, so much so that
my teacher has had problems telling which register I'm
using from the sound. I believe this is what is
referred to as "mix" (chest mix by some, but I prefer
head mix since I am using the muscles?? I use for head
voice - please pardon my lack of knowledge of what the
physical terminology is). If I'm careful I can
transition through this from chest to head (or vice
versa) without a break most of the time (I'm still
getting used to the technique). I'm wondering if what
some of us are referring to in this context as "head"
or "head mix" others are referring to as "chest" or
"chest mix" - it is hard to hear the difference, and
based on some recent teaching experience, sometimes
it's even hard for the singer to tell which register
is being used.

Some people have been talking about speaking voice,
and equating singing with that voice to singing in a
chest register. I can assure you that I speak with all
my voices - sometimes pure chest (when I'm trying to
be heard in a noisy situation only), sometimes mixed
chest (still in chest register but with a lighter
sound), sometimes mixed head (head register but with a
heavier sound like it's got chest mixed in - this is
the one I use most often) and when I get really
excited in pure head. I also sing in all of these
registers, depending on the context. Why limit myself?

It is physically possible for me to carry chest up to
an A4 (and a bit higher) but it is painful and
strained sounding and definitely not something I would
do for any reason. I can achieve a much more focussed,
in tune and resonant sound by using my head voice (or
a mix). Sometimes for stylistic reasons I will use
chest for notes around C4 - E4 (even in opera it can
be appropriate on occasion - listen to some of the
great singers), but that is the exception rather than
the rule. I can't speak for all other female singers,
but this is my experience.

And lest anyone say that my lower notes are wimpy or
wobbly because I do them in head/head mix, I can
assure you that is not the case. Yesterday I performed
in front of an audience of about 600. I was the only
singer who wasn't miked, and I was the only one who
was able to be heard on every note :o) (this is
according to feedback I got from a number of audience
members).

Jennifer