Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 2, 2001  12:51 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Bernstein quote

In a message dated 10/01/2001 7:46:21 PM Central Daylight Time,
laura@d... writes:
laura@d... writes:

<< I don't actually know anything about when/where this quote came from. It
was mentioned here on this list within a day or so of the terrorist attacks
and I've been using it a lot ever since. I find it to be so completely
appropriate. I wish I remembered who had posted the quote originally.
Perhaps they can shed some light? >>

I wonder if it was something he said after the assassination of JFK -- I just
picked up his Kaddish (Symphony No. 3) and there are some quotes from a
speech he gave to the United Jewish Appeal on 11/25/63 (3 days later). One
of them is "[I]gnorance and hatred - the exact antonyms of Learning and
Reason." Apparently JFK's planned speech in Dallas said, "America's
leadership must be guided by learning and reason." The Kaddish was already
commissioned at the time of JFK's death, but was completed shortly thereafter
and dedicated to the "beloved memory" of JFK.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>