Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 1, 2001  7:14 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A question of register

In a message dated 10/1/2001 1:44:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lolipastor@a... writes:

<< But I would like to hear if most women
here would agree that for the majority of women out there, this high chest
just isn't possible. >>

lauren,

in the case of singing the classical repertoire, as well as much of the
musical theater repertoire, i agree that singing in whatever we call it,
'female head voice' or 'female falsetto', etc., is probably the most
practical approach. physiologically, it is debatable whether this is the
best approach however, stylistically, from a traditional standpoint, it is
the only choice.

however, the original question, if my memory serves me correctly, was
concerning the singing of low notes in a choral situation. the last 50 or
so years has provided us with many examples of both kinds of treatments of
the lower range, particularly in mezzos. on the one hand, i believe janet
baker and yvonne minton demonstrate more the practice you recommend where
giulietta simionato exemplifies the use of chest for the low range. i have
heard fiorenza cossotto resort to both. for choral singing, i don't believe
an operatic production to be best for reasons pertaining to choral music.

i make a distinction between chest voice and speaking voice as i believe
them to, often, have differing resonance strategies though the use of the
vocal folds remains, essentially, the same.

mike

emusic.com