Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 1, 2001  4:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A question of register

In a message dated 10/01/2001 10:53:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
buzzcen@a... writes:

<< Too high is one thing, but not using it enough adds a whole new spectrum
of
problems; one being no career usually. The voice just does not have enough
presence. Learning how to get out of chest is essential but you shouldn't
confuse eliminating it as a viable alternative. >>

I think we are talking semantics. My interpretation of singing "in chest"
seems to be w/o mix, just raw chest. Of course, any decent singer mixes to
some extent throughout the whole range so that each note is related to the
next, so that the voice doesn't sound like "Chris 1" "Chris 2" and "Chris 3."

Or as a catty friend of mine said after attending a famous mezzo's recital,
"Those were 7 of the ugliest voices I ever heard!"

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>