Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Denis J. Lanza" <voxman@s...>
"Denis J. Lanza" <voxman@s...>
Date:  Mon Oct 1, 2001  5:40 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] chris cornell, was: Question about Singing

Hello My Illustrious Colleagues in Voice:
Although I am not a vocal pedagogue by any means and am, therefore, not
truly qualified to speak on these matters, this batch of singers Mike is
referring to are "my boys". In other words, my genre, my niche so I am going
to comment on some of this stuff. Flame me at will. ;)
Chris Cornell really seems to throw a lot of people for a loop for some
reason. Although, I don't know him personally, I know who he studied with. I
therefore know some of the methodology that he was trained in. First of all,
if you listen very closely to the way he sounds in his lower register vs.
the way he sounds in his higher register, there is a definite difference in
timbre, frequencies which are amplified/deamplified, etc. He is in a
well-supported head voice layering rasp on top of the tone. The delivery is
almost a gospel/deep blues one which gives it this wailing feeling and
sound. He's also "dipping" into the chest voice as much a possible. Sort of
leaning into the tone and reinforcing it to the point where if he added one
more iota of lower resonance, he would lose it. That is my take on what he
is doing vocally in his upper register. No magic, just a combination of
techniques which all serve to produce that sound.
In terms of Geoff Tate, he is NOT I repeat NOT singing in falsetto! I know
him through a friend and know his vocal training, background, technique,
approach, etc. and the man is in a full head voice whenever he sings. Listen
to the power and resonance on a song like "Eyes of a Stranger" or "Queen of
the Reich" or "The Whisper" and tell me how on could ever achieve that in
falsetto.
Steve Perry is a natural lyric tenor so he sounds more conversational in
the upper register I suppose. I am the same way. I can sing all of the
Journey material without a problem and in a natural sounding and feeling
manner. Certainly not falsetto. In fact I often practice to the song "Victim
of Changes" by Judas Priest off of the Sad Wings of Destiny album. At the
end he hits a G (above Tenor C) two times and sustains the E for 2 measures
of 4/4. Now I can and do sing that in a full supported head voice. In fact I
can even purposely sing it in falsetto to demonstrate the difference when I
then proceed to sing it in my full head voice. The difference in power,
richness of tone, resonance, carrying power, excitement, etc. Now I do not
consider myself a freak or magical so this must be quite achievable. I feel
no strain, no pain, no reaching, no pushing/pulling, etc.

Yours In Music,
Denis J. Lanza
Lead Vocalist - Infinity Minus One