Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Trevor Allen <trevorjamesallen@y...>
Date:  Mon Oct 1, 2001  5:49 am
Subject:  Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream-- accessible for college voices?

In the spring, the opera workshop I'm in at school
does either a one act opera (last year we did Gianni
Schicchi which turned out rather bad) or opera scenes.
I was wondering if anyone knew about Britten's
setting of A Midsummer Night's Dream. I know it is 3
acts, but can someone give me a running time? And
would it be a good choice for college singers? A good
choice for the people coming to hear these college
singers? Is the music accessible to those who might
not be completely inclined to classical music? The
reason I ask about this opera in particular is that I
like it and in the park near our college, there is a
"music mound". This is a sort of outdoor woodland
theatre that Midsummer Night's Dream would be amazing
in. That is if it is physically possible to do the
opera. We do the workshop productions at the end of
April or the very beginning of May, so singing
outdoors isn't that silly of an idea. Any
suggestions from those who know more than I think I
do?????

Thanks a bunch,
Trevor

http://phone.yahoo.com

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
14309 Appendage to: Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream-Trevor Allen   Mon  10/1/2001
14314 Re: Appendage to: Britten's Midsummer Night's DrKaren Mercedes   Mon  10/1/2001

emusic.com