Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Tina Harris <harrisstudio@h...>
Date:  Mon Oct 1, 2001  3:47 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Digest Number 840

As a piano teacher, I have had too many talented kids quit after 2-3 years
because they hate to practice. They love to play but hate to practice.
Well, who doesn't? I am so sick of parents who allow their kids to
"weasel" out of music education because they complain too much. Why is it
so difficult to get in the habit of a regular practice time and to take it
a seriously as they do their kids regular school homework? Music should be
as important to a child's education as, say math or social studies. Music
opens up a whole new world of social opportunities for kids and helps keep
them involved and out of trouble. These kids who quit when they get bored
are the same ones that will come to me as adults for lessons and say "I use
to play as a kid. How I wish my parents had made me keep it up!" I thank
my Mom every day for pushing me to keep playing. Quitting was never an
issue. The piano is now an integral part of my career as a choral director
and voice/piano teacher. I can't imagine what my life would be like
without it.

To Susan Schneider-why not try another instrument, or even choir?

Tina Harris
tinamharris@h...
http://members.home.net/tinamharris/welcome.html

emusic.com