Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Sun Sep 30, 2001  7:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Hark, the ech'ing air! from Purcell

In this case, I'm pretty sure the reason Purcell set
it as "ech'ing" instead of "echoing" was because he
only had room for two syllables instead of three. It
is quite common for certain words in English to be
shortened by a syllable when set to music (another
frequent example is "e'er" instead of "ever"). I agree
with the suggestion to sing it as "eh-kwing" - that
way the listeners will still understand the word is
echoing.

Jennifer