Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  peggyh@i...
peggyh@i...
Date:  Fri Sep 28, 2001  9:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] I am a late starter

vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Welcome, Lea Ann!

I was also a late starter, and several years later than you. I've now
been studying 15 years. I have a far different conception of singing
and my voice now than I did when I started studying. When I began,
like you, I was impatient and discouraged some of the time. When
would I start to sound the way I wanted to sound?

I was fortunate to have a terrific teacher whom I trusted implicitly,
because he got very excited about the progress I made along the way,
even though I was far from where I would be later. And because he was
really good, which I could hear in how all his students progressed
from where we started, as we had our studio performance classes over
time.

One of the first things I learned was that how I sounded to myself was
not how I sounded to others. That sounds that I thought were good in
my head were not the way I should be singing.

But I've loved all the singing I've done, I've loved the music I've
sung, and I've loved being around my fellow singers, so I haven't
minded at all spending the years I have on my voice. And I'll
continue to study with a teacher no matter how "good" I become, no
matter how many technical challenges I master, because we singers can
always benefit from the feedback of someone we trust, and someone who
knows how our voices work, and what to say to us to fix whatever's
slipping out of line.

So welcome to the community of singers and to the lifetime exploration
that is the study of voice and the art of singing.

Peggy

---
mailto:peggyh

emusic.com