Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Fri Sep 28, 2001  8:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] I am a late starter

In a message dated 9/28/01 11:03:18 AM, LeaAnn@k... writes:

<< I am so frustrated because my head tone doesn't sound rich and lovely it
sounds cold and shrill and strained >>

Lee Ann:

Every singer comes up against frustration at one time or another--you may be
fortunate in learning to deal with it early on in your studies. I'm sure
that you'll get past your problem, but in the meantime, here are some "rules"
that may be helpful.

Rule number one: DO NOT LISTEN TO YOURSELF. You cannot possibly hear what
everyone else hears, so you must learn by other sensations. A feeling of
open-ness in the throat. A "buzz" in the "mask." Whatever works--trust your
teacher more than your own ears.

Rule number two: DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF WITH OTHERS. Your voice is 100%
unique and will develop its own richness and character as your technique
improves. This is something that you'll have to take on faith.

Rule number three: DO NOT TRY TO "MAKE" YOUR VOICE DO ANYTHING. Singing
technique is all about ALLOWING things to happen--not forcing them! I get the
impression that you are trying to force your voice to sound like an
experienced opera singer's--but you are, after all, only a beginner. Let your
voice be what it is today. Set small goals--practical, attainable ones--for
each practice session. You'll minimize your frustration and maximize your
progress.

<<last night after a marathon practice my speaking voice was just all over
the place..cracking and hoarse...and I know that cannot be good...>>

Rule number four: MORE PRACTICE WILL NOT NECESSARILY MAKE THINGS BETTER.
As a beginner, you probably should not practice more than an hour a
day--especially if you are having difficulties. And you should NEVER, NEVER
practice so much that you are hoarse. You will simply aggravate whatever
difficulties you are having.

My favorite rule: LIGHTEN UP AND HAVE FUN! It sounds as though you are taking
your lessons seriously--very possibly too much so. (It happens to the best of
us!) Try to be a bit less interested in having a rich sound and more
interested in having fun. Experiment--gently! Be silly! Laugh at your
mistakes. Open your mind to new possibilities. Work on putting meaning into
your singing as opposed to tone. Learn to enjoy your voice and its
sensations. And LOVE the music you're singing.

Judy

emusic.com