Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Fri Sep 28, 2001  8:36 pm
Subject:  Re: {rep} recital and audition Arias

to point out that many of the suggestions made *might* be too difficult for
a young singer with so little voice training under her belt. Mind you,
I've never heard D.A. sing -- she might have a tremendous amount of natural
facility with technique and I could be saying entirely the wrong thing!
(And I certainly don't mean to insult you, Dolphin Aura, or any of the kind
and knowledgeable people who have offered their suggestions.)

Having (I think) a similar voice type to D.A. I can say that of the many
suggestions offered, some would have been well out of my reach at an early
stage of development and in fact I would have been wise not to attempt
singing them. (Even as I eagerly learned, translated, and imagined how I
might perform them!)

Taking a conservative approach, I would heartily second the recommendation
of "Du gai soleil" from WERTHER, "L'ho perduta" from LE NOZZE DI FIGARO,
"Mein Herr Marquis" from DIE FLEDERMAUS, "Bel piacere" from RINALDO,
"Chacun le sait" from LA FILLE DU REGIMENT, and "Quia respexit" from
MAGNIFICAT (Bach).

In addition, you might consider "Non so piu" from LE NOZZE DI FIGARO. (I
know what you're thinking: it's a mezzo aria. That's part of the logic as
far as I'm concerned. It has an appropriate tessitura and range for a
young light lyric soprano but because it's defined to be out of fach, you
can experiment on it technically without worrying about instilling bad
habits on a piece that you expect to sing a lot in your career.)

Also consider:

"In uomini" from COSI FAN TUTTE
"Ich folge dir" from ST. JOHN PASSION (Bach)
Margaret's Call from THE TELEPHONE

Your teacher can help you sort out which of the arias suggested will be
most appropriate, of course.

Best wishes!
Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com