Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Sat May 6, 2000  3:20 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] TMJ

Hi Audrey:
I suggest that your student see her dentist for an evaluation. I started
wearing a night time splint a few years ago (to reduce grinding) and found that
not only did the grinding stop but that my jaw and tongue became much freer.
With students that have tight jaws, have them gently massage the area over the
TMJ (just in front of the ear), stroke the cheeks in a downward motion and allow
gravity to open the mouth. Push the mouth closed with your hand then allow
gravity to drop it open again. Try a few easy sighs and sirens with the mouth
open only as far as gravity will take it. Avoid trying to open the mouth wide
in order to stretch it as this puts unnecessary stress on the already over
stressed joint. Once the sighs and sirens feel comfortable, add an easy
articulation like yayayaya [jajajaja] letting the jaw close by a very small
effort for [j] and open by gravity for [a]. Try other vowel/consonant
combinations always allowing the easy up and down motion to do the articulating
for you. Be sure that the jaw is actually moving and that the consonants are not
being formed solely by the action of the tongue and lips. Aim for a rate of 4-5
repetitions per second.
Hope this is of some help.
Cheers,
Craig, Burnaby BC