Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  lolipastor@a...
lolipastor@a...
Date:  Fri Sep 28, 2001  5:52 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A question of register

Tina,

if she really is a mezzo of sorts, she should work on strengthening her head
voice down there. I don't think it is good to rely on your chest voice past
middle C. (I'm talking about for mezzos here) Actually I never use it above
about an A or Bb below middle C. ANYWAY, I think the best thing to think
about is keeping the same upward focus as in her upper voice. Don't let the
sound get all fuzzy and sloppy... lower voice takes just as much
concentration and breath as does the rest of the voice. If I just
concentrate on making a bony, forward focused sound down there while
retaining the resonance in the head and keeping the soft palate lifted (lots
of things to think about), it will match the rest of the voice. Although, if
she really is a soprano, now that you have worked out the kinks on the upper
voice, she shouldn't mess herself up again by singing rep that is too low for
her.

Lauren

emusic.com