Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  RossiniSop@a...
RossiniSop@a...
Date:  Mon Sep 24, 2001  4:05 am
Subject:  Re: Songs about gypsies

<< This time I'm looking for songs (either art songs, or folk songs) in any
language, about gypsies. We know there is quite a bit of opera and operetta
out there. Any and all suggestions welcome, and yes, I know about the
Brahms and Dvorak cycles. :).

Fiona

Joan Sutherland sings a great one on her 'Romantic French Arias' cd, called
"Un soir Perez le capitaine" which is from Le Coeur et la main by Lecocq.
There is also one by Rossini called "Chanson de Zora" (La Petite Bohemienne).
The gypsy song from Carmen would work, as would 'Romany Life' that Beverly
Sills sings on her Victor Herbert recording.

I was planning a gypsy recital of my own, which is why I had a list to hand
to answer your question! I was also going to include "klange der Heimat'
even though it's not technically a gypsy song. It sounds very Hungarian
anyway!

Hope this helps.......

Elise Curran
Orlando, FL