Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Sep 24, 2001  2:18 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] looking for obscure operettas

On Sat, 22 Sep 2001 lolipastor@a... wrote:

> Hello, vocalisters!
>
> I'm in search of some pretty obscure operettas... (listed below) at least, I
> can't find them in my local libraries!!!! If anyone is familiar with these
> and can give me some inside info about roles in them for a young lyric mezzo
> (my typical opera roles are Cherubino, Siebel, Erika (Vanessa), most Handel
> pants roles, Dorabella, Carmen, etc...)
>
> Victor Herbert's Sweethearts

I had the pleasure of being in this operetta couple of years ago. If
you're comfortable with Cherubino, Siebel and Dorabella tessitura-wise,
you could definitely handle the soubrette role of Jeanette. She sings a
silly little ditty about wooden shoes, and also another flirtatious little
number (she's quite the seductress is dear little Jeanette). Also, a few
of Paula's (aka Mother Goose's) adoptive daughters are mezzos - I recall
that in our production, two of the sisters were mezzos, but the music is
such that your director may cast more mezzos. The sisters sing in ensemble
together most of the time, with each getting the occasional solo line or
two.

Karen Mercedes

===
On Neil Shicoff - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html
On yours truly - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

| For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that |
| appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. |
| - James 4:14 |