Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen <kjensen@c...>
Karen <kjensen@c...>
Date:  Fri Sep 21, 2001  4:37 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Roy Hart???

Alfred Wohlfson working in London in the 50's and did a Folkways recording
called Vox Humana, experimenting with vocal tone colour, multiphonics, and
extensions of range. He worked on dramatic and psychological influence on
vocal emission as well. Roy Hart was in that group, and became well known
in England. Peter Maxwell Davies wrote his "Eight Songs for a Mad King"
for Roy's voice--Roy did incredible alternating major and minor 10ths on
it. Others have recorded this, including Julian Eastman. There is now a
Roy Hart institute in France, but check the British Music Information
Centre. I did my doctorate on the extended vocal techniques repertoire,
and you can check it out if you wish more detail-- University of London,
1981, "A Study of Extended Vocal Techniques with particular reference to
Practical and Compositional Usage since 1972".
Cheers,
Karen Jensen

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
14180 Re: Roy Hart??? velluti@c...   Fri  9/21/2001   2 KB
14447 Away from the List Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  10/3/2001   2 KB

emusic.com