Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Thu Sep 20, 2001  6:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Definition for "bel canto"

Mike wrote:

>it's in a class with the term 'national security' as it was used during
the nixon administration.

I love this! How right you are. I remember having a heated discussion 20
years ago during my doctoral orals about the meaning of "bel canto." I have
heard many other debates on the subject. People are often very zealous about
their opinions, but the opinions rarely agree! :) For this reason, I find I
rarely use the term. I try to find other ways to say what I want to say. :)

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://www.rhodes.edu

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
14198 Re: Definition for "bel canto"Jeffrey Snider   Sun  9/23/2001

emusic.com