Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Jenni <jenni@G...>
Jenni <jenni@G...>
Date:  Tue Sep 18, 2001  1:32 pm
Subject:  Organising help!

I have a master list in Excel with all the books I own on it, by composer.

Then I have a master list of all the copies I have, also by composer, but
since it is in Excel I can resort the data with a click to see what tlse I
have. The catagories I have are as follows:

Title of song/aria
Composer
From (opera, song cycle, etc.)
Language
Text (who wrote the poem/libretto)
Publisher (for the book list)
Date last performed

So I can find just about everything I need right there. It does not take
long to update and keep current once you have it, but my word, it takes a
long time to set up the first time!

The physical copies of music I keep in binders by composer -- they
look like encyclopedia volumes on my shelf!! The books I keep on the next
shelf down, one group of song/aria collections and one of opera scores,
also by composer.

------- ------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - - -

About the accompanist walking away with copies:

I have a binder that I give them with everything in those clear copy
holders. In the front is a sign that says, "Please return this music after
our collaboration." Most people laugh, abd I make a joke out of it, but
the message is received, and I have not head a person take music from me
of any sort without permission since I started doing that.

So that is my system -- rather complicated, but i have found that is works
very well for me, and has for the past 5 years or so. :)

Good luck!!

-- Jenni

--
Jenni Glier || There comes a time in the affairs of a man
Jenni@G... || when he has to take the bull by the tail

emusic.com