Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Sep 13, 2001  6:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] G&S Audition Rep

I think a good "legit" musical theater song that is "role-appropriate"
would be a better choice than that Strauss aria. "Chacun a son gout" is
just not all that vocally impressive, and not even that appealing
musically.

I'm presuming you're a mezzo, and will be auditioning for the buffa
contralto roles. If you happen to know "I am easily assimilated" from
CANDIDE, that would be an excellent choice. If you're more of a mezzo
soubrette than a contralto buffa, you might consider "Simple joys of
maidenhood" from CAMELOT, if you know that, or "Show Me" from MY FAIR LADY or
"I Hate Men" from KISS ME KATE (more of a patter song). Even a non-comic
"legit" mezzo song, like "Hello, Young Lovers" from THE KING AND I,
"So in Love" from KISS ME KATE, or "Can't Help Lovin' dat Man" from SHOW
BOAT. You get the idea, I think.

After the audition, I would strongly recommend learning at least one G&S
aria! "Alone and yet alive" from MIKADO is always impressive, as is
"Cheerily carols the lark" from RUDDIGORE.

Karen Mercedes
===
On Neil Shicoff - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html
On yours truly - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

| For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that |
| appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. |
| - James 4:14 |