Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Wah Keung Chan @ La Scena Musicale" <wkchan@s...>
Date:  Sun Sep 9, 2001  2:35 pm
Subject:  La Scena Musicale Benefit Gala - September 12 at 7:30 p.m.

RE: An Event Not to be Missed

Hi all,

I would like to tell you about a Benefit Gala in Montreal on
September 12 at 7:30 p.m. It has a particular interesting vocal
program; I hope those of you in the Montreal area can come.

* The concert celebrates the 5th anniversary of La Scena Musicale as a
non-profit publication and website and helps to raise funds for our
continued operation.
Created as a magazine for all interested readers
of classical music, our philosophy has always been and will continue to
be to educate, inform and inspire the public.

* The concert feature some of Canada's leading musicians, all of whom
have agreed to waive their concert fees in the spirit of this
fundraising event.

* the program was constructed as a Readers' Choice (our readers voted
on the works they want to hear) and there is also an Editor's
Choice-- I couldn't help myself.

* Readers' Choice: Contralto Marie-Nicole Lemieux, winner of the 2000
Queen Elisabeth International competition, will sing two Duparc and
Traume from Wagner's Wesendonck Lieder. Soprano Donna Brown, who has
recorded with John Elliot Gardiner, will sing 4 Schubert Lieder.
Countertenor extraordinaire Daniel Taylor will sing Ombra mai fu and
the first movement of Bach's cantata 170. Soprano Nathalie Paulin
will sing three operatic arias.

* Editor's Choice: Marie-Nicole Lemieux and Daniel Taylor will both
participate in Handel's Giulio Cesare at the Canadian Opera Company
in Toronto in April 2002 with a remarkable cast including Ewa Podles,
Isabel Bayrakdarian and Brian Asawa. As a preview, I asked
Marie-Nicole and Daniel to sing the Act I duo between Cornelia and
Sesto. To close the program, Donna Brown and Daniel Taylor will sing
No. 1 and 12 from Pergolesi's Stabat Mater.

* The concert will feature the Montreal debut of the new baroque
ensemble Theatre of Early Music, comprising some of Montreal's finest
baroque musicians.

* Door Prize: Win one of two pairs of Blueroom speakers (Value: $699)
http://media-and-beyond.com/en/blue3.html.

* Tickets: Friends of La Scena Musicale VIP tickets for the concert (i.e.,
those tickets which include reception) are $50 and can be reserved by
calling (514) 948-2520. Our Friends will be recognized in the concert
programme and in the October issue of La Scena Musicale. Regular
tickets are $25, and $15 for students, and can be reserved by calling
the Centre Pierre-Péladeau box office at (514) 987-6919 or by calling
Admission at (514) 790-1245.

We hope to have the pleasure of your presence on September 12 at Salle
Pierre-Mercure, Centre Pierre-Péladeau.

Yours sincerely,

Wah Keung Chan
President
--
The concert programme - Readers' Choice and Editor's Choice
http://www.scena.org/LSMNews/010813benefitprogramme-en.html

Le 12 septembre 2001 à 19 h 30 / September 12, 2001 at 7:30 p.m.
Salle Pierre-Mercure
Centre Pierre-Péladeau
300, de Maisonneuve E.
Montréal

Programme

Le choix des lecteurs / Readers’ Choice

L’Invitation au voyage (Duparc)
Chanson triste (Duparc)
Träume (Wesendonck-Lieder, Wagner)
Marie-Nicole Lemieux, contralto
Yannick Nézet-Séguin, piano

Bach-Kodaly - Prélude et fugue / Prelude and Fugue
Fauré - Élegie
Julian Armour, violoncelle / cello
Stéphane Lemelin, piano

Lieder de / of Franz Schubert
Im Frühling
Die Forelle
Nacht und Träume
Gretchen am Spinnrade
Donna Brown, soprano
Stéphane Lemelin, piano

Ombra mai fu (Händel: Xerses)
Daniel Taylor, alto / countertenor
Lisa Godwin, piano

Cantate 170, premier mouvement / Cantata 170, first movement (Bach)
Daniel Taylor, alto / countertenor
Theatre of Early Music

— Entracte / Intermission —

Debussy: Sonate
Denis Brott, violoncelle / cello
Stéphane Lemelin, piano

Je veux vivre dans ce rêve... (Juliette, Roméo et Juliette, Gounod)
Regnava nel silenzio... (Lucia, Lucia di Lammermoor, Donizetti)
Air des bijoux (Marguerite, Faust, Gounod)
Nathalie Paulin, soprano
Yannick Nézet-Séguin, piano

Le choix du Rédacteur / Editor's Choice

Duo/Duet, Act I/Premier acte - Cornelia et/and Sesto (Händel: Guilio Cesare)
Marie-Nicole Lemieux, contralto
Daniel Taylor, alto / countertenor
Theatre of Early Music

Pergolesi - Stabat Mater (No.1, 12)
Donna Brown, soprano
Daniel Taylor, alto / countertenor
Theatre of Early Music
--
--
Wah Keung Chan
Publisher / Éditeur
** La Scena Musicale ** http://www.scena.org
5409 Waverly, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H2T 2X8
Tel: (514)274-1128 | Fax: (514)274-9456 | Advertising / Publicité :
(514) 484-3890
email: info@s...

5 Years of Service / La Scena Musicale a 5 ans
Benefit Gala - September 12, 2001 in Montreal
- http://www.scena.org/LSMNews/010813benefitprogramPR-en.html
Gala-bénéfice - le 12 septembre 2001 à Montreal
- http://www.scena.org/LSMNews/010813benefitprogramPR-fr.html

Messages of Congratulations / Messages de félicitations
http://www.scena.org/lsmnews/5thann-quotes.html

emusic.com