Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Sep 8, 2001  6:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] "Jocelyn"

> Sorry for re-posting my earlier note. There wasn't a response when I first
> posted it. If anyone knows ANYthing about this piece, I'd appreciate your
> help! Karen?
> Thanks, again. GW-, dT
>
> >I need a little help, please, with an opera by Godard. My teacher has
> given me a song called "Lullaby" [Oh, ne t'eveille pas encor] from the opera
> _Jocelyn_.

I'm afraid I have never heard of this opera. In my Concise
Baker's Biographical Dictionary, the entry for Godard says
the following in reference to Jocelyn: "then came his
maserpiece, Jocelyn, after Lamartine's poem (Brussels, Feb
25, 1888). The famous Berceuse from the opera became a
perennial favorite, exhibiting Godard's lyric talent at its
best." (I bet your "Lullaby" is the Berceuse.)

I also suggest you get to a good library and look up the
opera and the composer in the New Grove Dictionary of
Opera.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...